To save time and commuting cost, especially if you live outside Bangkok, I recommend getting a police clearance certificate on the same day after filing your I-130 petition. Technically, you don’t need to have a case number in order to proceed. The receipt of your I-130 filing can be used as proof and in my case was accepted by the police officer.
- IR-1 DCF Visa: Basic information
- IR-1 DCF Visa: My timeline
- IR-1 DCF Visa: Step 1 Filing I-130 petition
- Use only photocopies of all your documents unless specified “original”. Sign your name on all copies.
- The police clearance certificate is given to you in English language and is ready to use in the next step; there’s no need to get a translation. However, if you committed a crime, were prosecuted, or went to jail, then your certificate will be given in Thai and you’ll need to have it translated into English first.
- The police clearance certificate is valid for 1 year. If on the interview date, your certificate has been issued for more than a year, you’ll have to request a new one.
- If you have ever worked outside Thailand for more than a year, you must also obtain a police clearance certificate from that country.
- For more information, refer to the official Royal Thai Police website: Required documents, Instructions
Instructions and my experience
IR-1 DCF Visa: Step 2 Obtaining a police clearance certificate
- 1. Request form (original) (download)
- 2. Passport
- 3. National ID
- 4. House registration (Thai language accepted)
- 5. Marriage certificate/license (Thai language accepted)
- 6. I-130 filing receipt (must have your name on it)
- 7. US citizen's passport
- 8. One 2x2" colored photo
- 9. Cash 100 Baht (if the "express" service is desired, inquire the police officer who is helping you)
Give all your documents to the police officer and request either the "normal" service (30-45 days processing time) or "express" service (7-10 days processing time). I requested the express option.
The police officer will give you a white envelope to write down your name and home address. In this envelope you'll also put in the amount of money according to the type of service requested (normal or express). Please note that the "express" cost is quite a bit higher.
State whether you want to pick up your certificate in person or have it delivered to your home address. I chose my home address. My certificate was sent via EMS and arrived at my place 10 days after.
Directions to Royal Thai Police Headquarters
Take the BTS and get off at Siam station. Take Exit 6 and continue onto the skywalk. Once you've crossed the Henri Dunant road, walk down the steps and you'll see the Royal Thai Police Headquarters on your right side. Once inside, look for building number 24 which is a dedicated building for police clearance certificate.
Contact Royal Thai Police
Address: Building #24, 1st floor, Royal Thai Police Headquarters, Rama I road, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330
Office hours: 8:30 AM-4:30 PM (M-F) No lunch break
This post is also available in: Thai